You shouldn’t be the one who foots the bill after being hurt in an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligent behavior. While you can’t turn back the clock to undo the hassle, frustration, pain, and suffering you have been forced to endure, you might be able to escape the financial burdens caused by your injury with the help of a capable personal injury attorney. A personal injury lawyer can help you pursue the compensation you deserve for your injuries and emotional distress. These attorneys fight for the rights of victims in cases involving automobile crashes, truck collisions, slip-and-fall injuries, workplace accidents, and other personal injury situations.
Insurance Companies Will Try to Lowball or Avoid Paying You
It is not uncommon for injury victims to hear from an insurance company adjuster shortly after an accident that has caused harm or other losses. Unfortunately, insurance companies are not in business to help you obtain a cash award for the true extent of your losses. For this reason, you should not give an insurance company a statement, sign any document, or accept any monetary payout from them after your accident until you speak with an experienced personal injury attorney.
How Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help
When you choose our a personal injury attorney to represent you, the lawyer and his or her legal team will investigate the details of your accident to identify who is responsible under the law and how severe your injuries are. Depending on your accident and the unique circumstances surrounding it, there may be more than one party who should be held liable for your harm and damages.
- Identify any and all insurance policies held by the responsible parties with coverage that applies to your injuries and accident. A legal team will also examine any insurance policy you hold for coverage that should compensate you.
- File a personal injury lawsuit aimed at obtaining reasonable compensation if you and the at-fault party cannot reach an appropriate settlement.
- Calculate the total economic loss you were subject to because of the accident. If you have been disabled or will require medical treatment or care in the future, or are unable to return to work due to the harm you’ve suffered, your injury attorney can consult with experts to identify your future needs and costs.
- Consult with you, your family members, friends, coworkers, and more to determine the personal impact of your injuries. By doing so, your attorney builds an argument for noneconomic damages.
- Ensure you have the support and additional assistance you need to move forward with your life. This may include retrieving your car and other personal property if you have not been able, providing referrals for specialized medical care, and notifying your creditors and others of your accident and status.
- Be available to respond to your questions and concerns about your case, and regularly provide status updates.
- Negotiate aggressively with the insurance companies to obtain the maximum compensation you deserve.
- If the case goes to trial, a personal injury attorney can present a strong and persuasive argument in court. However, injury lawyers are often able to negotiate substantial settlements even after a lawsuit is filed.