People who are in auto accidents caused by the negligence of another driver may suffer severe or even fatal injuries. If you or a beloved family member was injured or lost in a preventable car accident, you need a personal injury litigation attorney to help you pursue compensation for your losses through a legal claim. Auto accident lawyers can investigate your accident promptly to determine if negligence was involved. They will also review the situation to determine whether or not you may make a legitimate claim against the driver of the other vehicle. Car accidents may lead to injuries that produce mounting medical bills. All the while, you may have been unable to work and lost the income you rely upon to keep you and your family afloat. Furthermore, you may not know when you’ll be able to return to work or if you can return at all, given your injuries. Indeed, long-lasting or even permanent injuries are not uncommon in the aftermath of a car crash.
What to Do After a Car Accident
If you were JUST involved in a car accident, you need advice from a knowledgeable and experienced legal professional. Auto accident attorneys provide helpful guidance on what you should do immediately after an accident, including:
- Call the police to report the accident.
- Do NOT speak to anyone about your fault or blame.
- Exchange information with everyone involved at the scene. This includes anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Document the details of the crash, including taking photos.
- Get a medical evaluation even if you don’t think you’re injured. You may have internal injuries or other harm that is not obvious to a nonmedical person.
- Do NOT give any recorded statement to an insurance company
- Do NOT sign any documents at the insurance company’s request
- Do NOT settle for the first lowball settlement the insurance company offers you.
- DO hire a seasoned and professional car accident attorney.
Why Hiring a Lawyer is a Good Idea
You may need a legal professional on your side who is a fierce litigator and negotiator. You want to hire someone who will not settle your case for less compensation than you are entitled to and deserve. If your personal injury attorney can’t resolve your matter through settlement, he or she should be prepared to take your case to court. Your injury advocate can stick with you all the way to the final verdict and conclusion of your case. Hiring a capable and dedicated car accident attorney can help to ensure you get the most out of your legal claim and protect your rights. Once you’ve hired an attorney, don’t worry about your medical bills, lost earnings, or dealing with the insurance companies. You have enough to deal with after an accident. Let your auto accident legal professional take care of all aspects of your case, including investigating, collecting evidence, filing paperwork, and handling the complex claims process, as well. Don’t settle for less than you deserve. Let an auto accident lawyer take care of your compensation while you focus on healing.